Your child will qualify for a free place if you get:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under immigration and asylum law
- The guaranteed part part of State Pension Credit
- Tax Credit and you have an annual household income of under £16,190 before tax
- Universal credit and you have an annual income of less than £15,400 after tax
> To check your eligibility against the criteria, use our online checker.
The online check will return an immediate result via email. If you are eligible you will be emailed an eligibility certificate. Print it out and take it to your chosen childcare provider.
Children qualify in their own right if:
- they are looked after by a local council
- they have a child protection plan
- they have a disability living allowance
- they have a current statement of special education needs (SEN)
- they have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan
- they left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order
If you think the child qualifies in their own right under any of the criteria, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 3373 0980.
What your child gets
Your child can receive 15 hours of free early education per week, 38 weeks per year. Free places are offered as:
- three hours per day over five days
- five hours per day over three days
- 15 hours spread over the week
- or the hours can be stretched out to meet your needs.
When your child can start
If your two year old qualifies for free early education, they will usually start in the term after their second birthday.
If we have not contacted you, but you think your child is eligible, call us on 020 3373 0980 or email email@example.com.
Where your child can get free early education
Free early education and childcare can be at:
- all types of nurseries and nursery classes
- playgroups and pre-schools
The provider must be registered with Ofsted and included on our approved list of early learning providers for two year olds.
For more information you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 3373 0980.
Watch our short film about free early education for two year olds
Click on the blue 'Watch on Vimeo' button to play the video.