Benefits and money advice for young people with SEN

We will talk to you about money and benefits at your reviews. But on this page you can find out where to look for more information on:

  • benefits – whether you are in or out of work
  • money advice – help managing money, bills
  • help with money for education and training.

If you are a young person with learning disabilities and you are looking for work or you have found a job, you might need information on how benefits are calculated if you move into work. Or you may want specialist advice on Work Choice, residential training, The Work Programme and Access to Work.

On the Government’s website, you can find a full list of all the benefits and support available for people with disabilities, their families and carers:

You can find information about Jobseeker’s Allowance and Housing Benefit on our Benefits pages.

Money and benefits advice

You can find general advice in our Money advice section and specific advice on money and benefits on the Money matters page.

If you are disabled there is advice on benefits on the Money Advice Service website too:

Leaving care

We have information and advice about leaving care​. And as a young person with SEN or a disability you may qualify for a leaving care grant.

Financial help for education and training

Bursaries for sixth-form and college education

If you are between 16 and 19 years old and in full-time education or training you might qualify for a bursary. A bursary is money given to you to help you with your studies. Sixth-form schools and colleges, further-education colleges or organisations offering training are responsible for giving bursaries to students.  

A bursary is not a loan; you do not have to pay back the money you get.  

Students in most need will qualify for a bursary of £1,200 a year. You are in most need if you are:

  • in care
  • leaving care
  • claiming Income Support or Universal Credit
  • disabled and you get Employment and Support Allowance (or Universal Credit as a replacement of ESA) or a Personal Independence Payment.

Except for these £1,200 bursaries, it is for colleges and other providers of education to decide when to give a bursary, and they will set the conditions that you need to meet to receive one.

Other help with money while you are in education

Last updated: 17/06/2020

Rate this page

happy face neutral face unhappy face
Skip back to top of page