Adult Carers

Being a carer

You are an unpaid carer, if you support a family member or friend who is ill, disabled, elderly, has mental health issues or substance misuse problems.

The support you offer may be emotional or include shopping, cooking, dealing with medication, or attending medical appointments with the person you care for. The person you care for could live with you, in their own home, or even in residential care.

You are entitled to support if you are providing unpaid support to someone else, such as:

  • getting dressed
  • washing
  • helping to go toilet
  • getting about
  • administering medication
  • filling in forms
  • cleaning
  • shopping
  • cooking
  • laundry
  • managing/budgeting money
  • emotional support

You can request a carers assessment, which is free, to discuss the physical, emotional and practical impact that caring has on your life and identify your needs, and to discuss how these could be met.


For more information contact the Access to Adult Social Care Team:

Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2

Text phone: 18001 020 8430 2000

Last updated: 29/09/2023

Rate this page

happy face neutral face unhappy face
Skip back to top of page