Education and Training Post 16

On this page you can find out about the opportunities available to you when you leave school. Whether you want to continue learning or start training, you can find information here.​

Young people aged 16 and 17 are under a duty to continue in education or training until the young person’s 18th birthday. The statutory duty does not extend until the end of the academic year in which the young person turns 18. Young people should however be encouraged to complete the education or training they are undertaking beyond their 18th birthday. Local authorities have a duty to make available to all young people aged 13-19 and to those between 20 and 25 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), who have an Education, Health and care (EHC) plan, support that will encourage, enable or assist them to participate in education or training.

All schools will be involved in arranging the annual reviews of EHC plans and statements of SEN, and support the aims of the review. Schools should support all pupils with SEND (both those with statements or EHC plans and those without) to make as successful a transition as possible into post-16 education or training. Schools should work with post-16 providers and pass on information about each young person’s needs so that the post-16 provider can put appropriate support in place from the start. The right support will help the young person to remain in education or training.

All careers guidance should have regard to the needs of those with SEND that may in some cases be different or additional to the needs of others.
Local authorities should also provide targeted support to children and young people with SEND, who are significantly less likely to participate than their peers without SEND, to enable them to participate. Where children and young people have an EHC plan, local authorities have a duty to ensure that the annual review of the EHC plan from Year 9 onwards includes a focus on preparing for adult life, including employment. This review should be focused on the child or young person’s needs and aspirations, and include discussion about the next steps after school, and a pathway into further or higher education or employment.

Students are responsible for submitting applications to post-16 institutions. Parents or Carers of children and young people with SEND are advised to contact  their child’s school to discuss applications for post-16 study as early as possible when their child joins Year 11.

Information about post-16 learning in Newham is available here.

You can find out more information from:

Advice on what you can do after leaving school

Advice is very important when you are thinking about what to do when you leave school.  If you are 14 or over you can use your school’s careers service, which can give you information different options for you. Your teacher can tell you how to contact the careers service. Whatever you think you would like to do when you leave school, on this page you can find about how you can:

  • continue your education or start training for a job
  • start an apprenticeship or internship.
Internships and apprenticeships


Newham College of Further Education offers five exciting internship programmes working with Barts Hospital Trust, London Borough Of Newham, John Lewis and ASDA.


As an apprentice, you can earn a wage and work alongside experienced staff to learn the skills or get qualifications for a specific career.  

You have to be 16 or over to become an apprentice. And it takes between one and four years to finish an apprenticeship, depending on type of training and industry you choose. 

Use these links to find out more about apprenticeships.

  • If you live in Newham, you can register with Workplace to get information on apprenticeships.
  • The Government’s website also has detailed information about apprenticeships and you can register for information about opportunities. 
  • Newham College of Further Education also offers apprenticeship schemes. For details contact the college directly.

If you think that you are not ready to do a full apprenticeship programme, some colleges offer a programme to help you develop the skills you need to start an apprenticeship.  For more information, contact Newham College of Further Education.

Colleges, centres and providers of work-based learning

Sixth-form colleges

Further-education colleges

Providers of work-based learning

Leaving college

Speak to your course tutor or college’s student careers service for more information about further courses and training after college, including apprenticeships.   If you have an EHC plan, our Post-16 Education team and Transition team will help you take your next step. They will also work with colleges and other providers of education to support your educational needs.  

Financial support

While you are at college you might qualify for money to help you with your studies or with transport. To find out more, go to our:

If you are disabled and interested in degree courses, go to the UCAS website. 

Contact the Post-16 Education Team

If you have a SEN or a disability and you have an EHC plan, then the team can help you make the move from school to college, training or a job.  

0-25 SEND Service

London Borough of Newham - Newham Dockside 

1000 Dockside Road London 

E16 2QU  

Tel: 020 8430 2000

Related Information

Last updated: 17/11/2022

Skip back to top of page