COVID 19 Updates

Education and training for young people with SEN

On this page you can find out about the opportunities available to you when you leave school. Whether you want to continue learning or start training, you can find information here.‚Äč

A guide to 16-18 courses in Newham

Advice on what you can do after leaving school

Advice is very important when you are thinking about what to do when you leave school.  If you are 14 or over you can use your school’s careers service, which can give you information different options for you. Your teacher can tell you how to contact the careers service. Whatever you think you would like to do when you leave school, on this page you can find about how you can:

  • continue your education or start training for a job
  • start an apprenticeship or internship.

Education and training

When you leave school you can carry on your education or start training at a:

  • sixth-form college
  • further-education college
  • provider of work-based learning.

You can find out more information from:

Internships and apprenticeships


Newham College of Further Education offers five exciting internship programmes working with Barts Hospital Trust, London Borough Of Newham, John Lewis and ASDA.


As an apprentice, you can earn a wage and work alongside experienced staff to learn the skills or get qualifications for a specific career.  

You have to be 16 or over to become an apprentice. And it takes between one and four years to finish an apprenticeship, depending on type of training and industry you choose. 

Use these links to find out more about apprenticeships.

  • If you live in Newham, you can register with Workplace to get information on apprenticeships.
  • The Government’s website also has detailed information about apprenticeships and you can register for information about opportunities. 
  • Newham College of Further Education also offers apprenticeship schemes. For details contact the college directly.

If you think that you are not ready to do a full apprenticeship programme, some colleges offer a programme to help you develop the skills you need to start an apprenticeship.  For more information, contact Newham College of Further Education.

Colleges, centres and providers of work-based learning

Sixth-form colleges

Further-education colleges

Providers of work-based learning

Leaving college

Speak to your course tutor or college’s student careers service for more information about further courses and training after college, including apprenticeships.   If you have an EHC plan, our Post-16 Education team and Transition team will help you take your next step. They will also work with colleges and other providers of education to support your educational needs.  

Financial support

While you are at college you might qualify for money to help you with your studies or with transport. To find out more, go to our:

If you are disabled and interested in degree courses, go to the UCAS website. 

Contact the Post-16 Education Team

If you have a SEN or a disability and you have an EHC plan, then the team can help you make the move from school to college, training or a job.  

0-25 SEND Service

London Borough of Newham - Newham Dockside 

1000 Dockside Road London 

E16 2QU  

Tel: 020 8430 2000