Parenting Befriending Service
A bespoke parenting befriending service for parents / carers of children and young people aged 0-16 year who needs a space to talk and think through the ways that they are coping in the circumstances and practical suggestions to manage challenges such as their young person’s behaviour, anxiety and worries, family relationship challenges and a young person’s screen time.
- Befrienders are either trained children centre staff or Newham Parent Peer Facilitators
- 30 - 60 min’s session per week
- 1 - 8 weeks with a clear transition process put in place for when the contact ends.
- Group sessions – will be developed where this would be helpful and appropriate.
- Virtual Coffee Mornings- Early Years / Primary and Secondary.
- Signposting and referrals to other support and services as and when appropriate.
If you would like to refer a family for the parenting befriending offer please email: BSILFamilySupport@newham.gov.uk.
FREE Programmes/Workshops for Parents
- Designed to meet the needs of families with children from birth to 16 years.
- A highly skilled team with years of experience delivering courses to support parents and enrich family lives.
- The team are based in Newham and deliver courses at various venues, to local residents and those with an affiliation to the borough. We currently have a number of remote sessions taking place and if you want to find out more please contact BSILFamilySupport@newham.gov.uk
Live out of the Borough of Newham? You may still be able to attend parenting classes FREE of charge! Click here to find out!
For more information or to book a place on the groups below please click on the'What's on' link.
- Wonderful Baby, Wonderful You - 0 – 9 months
- Wonderful Baby, Wonderful You - 9 - 18 months
- Early Communication Workshop
- Toilet Training
18 months - 11 years
- Group Triple P
- Stepping Stones Children with additional needs
- Discussion Groups - Dealing with Disobedience, Managing Fighting and Aggression, Developing Good Bed Time Routines, Hassle Free Outings with Children
- Seminars - Power of Positive Parenting, Raising Resilient Children, Raising Confident Competent Children
12 years – 16 years
- Group Teen
- Raising Competent Teenagers, Getting Teenagers Connected, Raising Responsible Teenagers
- Seminar for Children with Additional Needs - Stepping Stones
- Parent Protect
Triple P “Positive Parenting Programme”
Triple P is an evidence based programme designed for all families and gives parents/carer’s the opportunity to learn and practice new ways to develop relationships with their child.
The groups encourage parents to set their own goals and try out strategies learnt in the group sessions that suit their own family needs. The programme includes approaches to promote good behaviour and to managing misbehaviour effectively.
Triple P 5 Key Principles
- Ensuring a safe, interesting environment where children can explore, experiment and develop their skills.
- Creating a positive learning environment by being available when children need help, care or attention.
- Using assertive discipline by being consistent and acting quickly when children misbehave.
- Having realistic expectations for children and yourself as a parent.
- Taking care of yourself as a parent and ensuring your personal needs are met.
For more information, you can visit the Triple P website.
Please be aware that you must be booked to attend any group and they are not drop-in sessions.