COVID 19 Updates


SEND Updates - Frequently Asked Questions

SEND Contact Us Line 

Speech, language and communcation needs survey findings - January 2021

Parents communication and language survey

Parents praise Royal Docks Academy for PMLD lockdown support

Weekly update on children and education complaint decisions 

Youth Safety Board Report

Autism Education Trust - Lockdown Survey 

Disability Living Allowance - Don't Miss Out!

Understanding Autism - Free Online Autistic Course

High Needs Recovery Plan Cabinet Report 11th June 2020

Feedback from families and our plans to respond.

Complaints, comments and compliments

We Are Newham - Working Together for Children and Families with SEND Event 19.04.21 - FAQ's

Well-being and mental health

Q. Where can I find support for a teenager or young adult or is anxious or has experienced trauma?

HeadStart website:
Your Time: or email to request a referral form

Q. My son/daughter with SEND has been self-harming and seems to have sensory needs where can I seek help and support?

HeadStart website:
Your Time: or email to request a referral form


Q. What percentage of young people with SEND are in employment? (we may not have this figure – but do we have figures for those who employed following supported internships?)

  • The percentage of KS4 SEN pupils with SEN support going to, or remaining in education and employment: 89% (2018) and 87% (2019) – nationally 89% in 2019
  • The percentage of KS4 SEN pupils with EHC plans going to, or remaining in education and employment: 84% (2018) and 86% (2019) – nationally 90% in 2019
  • The percentage of 16-17 year olds with SEN in education and training as at 31st December: 89.47% (2018) and 87.93% (2019) – nationally 88.47 in 2019

Q. What social activities are available for my son/daughter who is a young adult and has complex needs?

Community Neighbourhood Link Workers support residents for up to 6 weeks on a one-to-one basis to identify activities and build up confidence and skills. Email to refer or follow the link on:

Newham’s Community Neighbourhoods teams help run Friendship Club for adults who have learning disabilities or autism. It is currently running remote activities, if you would like to join the WhatsApp group or find out more please email:

Newham’s Coproduction Team runs a monthly Autism Support Group for autistic adults and their Carers. This group feeds into the Coproduction Forum and Autism Steering Group. To join contact Latifat Honey Sarfo on 020 3373 1638 or

Individuals in need of regular support to access activities should request an Adult Social Care Assessment on 020 8430 2000 or


Q. I am a parent of a child with SEND what advocacy and advice is available? 

SENDIASS Newham is a free, impartial, confidential information and advice support service. The service supports children/YP with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their parent/carers with issues relating to the child’s/YP special educational needs (SEN). Service operating hours are Monday - Friday (9am-5pm). If you are a parent/carer/YP and think you may need support from SENDIASS, please self – refer to


Q. My child/ young person has undergone an Education Health and Care needs assessment, why does the care aspect of this assessment say, “not known to social care?”
What if my child has care needs but is not known to social care?

This means your child have never been involved with Social Service.  If you feel your child has care needs that require a service, you can make a referral to the MASH or have a professional working with your child to make a referral for you. The MASH will determine if an assessment from a statutory team is required. if more appropriate to the child’s need’s  MASH may also consider early help services such as families first, or sign post to universal service. 

Social Care

Q. Is a needs assessment (DCYPS) only for children and families suffering harm or violence?

No, many assessments undertaken with families do not involve harm or violence.   At times, families may need additional support for lots of reasons. If DCYPS is undertaking and assessment of a family or young person, it is most likely because the family needs additional support and not due to suffering harm or violence.


Q. How do I know if my child’s learning is on track?

  • If your child is in a school and has SEND, important you work with key workers in school/setting with agreed aim of support at home : study materials, strategies and ensuring support is a good experience for child and parent/carer.
  • Adopt same approach at home to reinforce therapy programmes from SLT; physiotherapy or occupational therapy.
  • There are materials available on local offer but use them with planning with staff in settings or services who know your child

Q. I am concerned about my child/ young child’s educational progress how can I arrange for an assessment?

Schools regularly collect assessment information about cyp in schools.  Any concerns or queries should start with the classteacher who should be able to provide current levels and state whether those level are age appropriate or below or above age related expectations. Where there are concerns about progress or rate of progress this should be discussed with the Inclusion Manager or SENDco at the cyp’s school who may then conduct additional assessments and implement assess, plan, do review (APDR) cycles.  Should concerns persist the Inclusion manager/SENDco in liaison with parents/carers may then consider referrals to external agencies such as the Specialist Education Support Services, the Educational Psychology Service or therapy services.


Q. My child has been identified as needing therapy input but they have not had any involvement for some time, who can I contact? 

If the child or young person had previously received services from SCYPS - ELFT then the parent can self-refer back to the service.

General enquiries

Tel: 020 8586 6262


We Are Newham - Working Together for Children and Families with SEND Event 19.04.21 - Posters and Videos