COVID 19 Updates

Education & SEND


Children and young people with special educational needs or disability (SEND) may require additional support to achieve their potential academically. In the great majority of cases this can be supported from within resources available in early year’s settings, schools and colleges, this is often referred to as SEN Support. In Newham around one child in nine receive this support in our schools.

For a smaller proportion of children or young people with more significant needs schools can apply for additional funding from the Local Authority or require specialist placements such as a Resource Unit or Special School. Many of these children have Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) issued by the Local Authority. This plan identified needs, provision and desired outcomes.

The advice pages below provide further details: